Most health plans don’t include routine vision exams unless you have a medical condition that requires them. You can always pay cash for eye exams and glasses but having vision insurance can save you a considerable amount of money in the event that you need vision care.
Key tips for when you want to get vision insurance:
- Vision insurance and vision discount plans are NOT the same. Insurance includes defined benefits with deductibles, co-pays, and a network of providers along with defined terms regarding what is and isn’t covered. Discount plans simply provide a specified reduction in prices from a list of participating providers and typically result in higher out-of-pocket fees.
- Vision plans vary in the frequency and amount of benefits. You need to determine how many times a year you can see an optometrist or ophthalmologist, how often you are eligible for new frames and lenses, etc.
- Most plans have a limit on the amount they will cover for frames so if you only want designer frames or specific lenses (i.e. photochromic, high-index, UV blocking) you may have to be willing to pay more.
- Ask about the types of contact lenses that are covered.
- Check the deductibles, co-pays, and annual maximums to see if they are acceptable for your personal or family needs.
Even if you have great eyesight vision insurance can benefit you and your family by providing benefits for annual exams and correctional treatments when needed. Eyeglass frames, lenses, and coatings can get expensive when purchased separately and an insurance plan can reduce the amount you have to pay out-of-pocket to continue protecting your eyesight.
Advice on finding the best vision insurance:
If you want the best vision insurance, you have to start by comparing vision plans. Find reputable insurance companies that are well established in the industry. Make sure that they offer a selection of plans so you can find one that meets your specific needs. Then, apply for vision insurance quotes and compare the plans to make sure that you will get everything that you want from your investment. Finding the best plan will take some time to compare all of the different options.
Vision coverage can be a great way to keep your eyes healthy and your vision clear. It's helpful if you take the time to research your options and see what's out there. What most people don't realize is that this coverage can be quite affordable and well worth the effort.
"I found a great car loan rate on your site, got approved online, and bought my hybrid the next day! Thanks FinanceSource! :)"
— Carey S.
San Diego, CA
"Visited FinanceSource last month and found a great offer on a credit card to help me earn more miles for my trip. Thank you. "
— Paul M.