Riding a motorcycle is much more dangerous than driving a car and insurance is required by law nearly everywhere you might want to ride. Motorcycle insurance is nearly as easy to obtain as car insurance but there are many differences between the various programs that insurers offer for motorcycles.
Key tips for when you want to get motorcycle insurance:
- Property damage liability and bodily injury are the most basic coverage that you must have to ride legally in most states.
- Comprehensive and collision coverage adds to the cost but it will pay to repair or replace your bike if you have an accident or the motorcycle gets stolen.
- Motorcycle safety courses can lower your rate and if you are able to bundle your homeowner or car insurance with motorcycle insurance you will also save money.
- If your bike has been heavily customized you will have to extend your coverage to include parts and equipment. You will pay more for the coverage but it's worth it to have your ride restored if something happens to it.
- If you will have a passenger on your motorcycle you need to be sure that your policy will cover them in the event of injury. "Guest passenger liability coverage" is the term you should look for.
- Uninsured motorist coverage is always recommended as it will protect you from drivers that don't have insurance and pay for bills that you would otherwise incur even if an accident wasn't your fault.
Advice on finding the best motorcycle insurance:
Motorcycle insurance is offered by most major insurance companies as well as some specialty motorcycle insurers. The rates are primary based on the type of motorcycle as well as the amount of riding experience you have. Some companies won't insure new riders so you will have to do some research to find one that does if that is your situation. Motorcycles with larger engines and sport bikes are also generally more expensive to insure. And where you live and how you plan to store the bike will also impact your rates. Buying motorcycle insurance is a balancing act of cost and risk but with a little work you should be able to find a policy that's right for you.
"I found a great car loan rate on your site, got approved online, and bought my hybrid the next day! Thanks FinanceSource! :)"
— Carey S.
San Diego, CA
"Visited FinanceSource last month and found a great offer on a credit card to help me earn more miles for my trip. Thank you. "
— Paul M.