VA loans, or loans offered by the Veteran's Affairs office to retired military service members, are one way for these men and women to gain home ownership. The loans are guaranteed through the federal government, as a way of giving something back to those who stood up and fought for their country. A home loan is part of the exit package that you are entitled to once you leave the military, along with the other VA benefits that are out there.
The VA loans that you can get are guaranteed by the government, but you can get them through dozens of banks and lenders around the U.S. This means that it is easy for you to find the best deals and get the financing that you need.
Key tips for when you want to get a VA loan:
- These loans do take longer to close because of the government looking over every detail.
- The terms are a lot more favorable, including ridiculously low interest rates and repayment terms.
- This is the only way that people can get access to $0 down home loans after the recession because the rest of the options were changed.
- VA loans are available to anyone who was honorably discharged, on active duty, through 6 years of service of National Guard, and even some surviving spouses of veterans.
- VA loan limits are generally capped at $417,000 although some states have higher limits because of the cost of living.
People are turning back to VA loans these days because they don’t have as many other affordable options for borrowing money to buy a house. This is a time when you need to consider your options. You only get this loan once, so it's important that you use it accordingly, and buying a house that you love is definitely a good cause.
Advice on finding the best VA loans:
When you are looking to determine what kind of loan you need, you have to think about your situation, the interest and fees that you are willing to pay, and what kind of deals you can find based on your circumstances. Anyone who is eligible for VA loans should capitalize on that because getting a home loan isn't half as easy as it used to be. Talk to lenders, find out the terms and conditions of the loans you are offered, and make sure that you know what you are getting into. That way, you can finally own the home of your dreams.
"I found a great car loan rate on your site, got approved online, and bought my hybrid the next day! Thanks FinanceSource! :)"
— Carey S.
San Diego, CA
"Visited FinanceSource last month and found a great offer on a credit card to help me earn more miles for my trip. Thank you. "
— Paul M.